Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Woooooooo, PIG SOOOOOIE!!

Ham and bacon.  Oooh, and Boston Butt.  Ummmmm........and pork steak and tenderloin.  And bacon.  And...ham.  Just call me Miss Piggy.  Oh well, I am from Arkansas, where we have a long tradition of Hog Fever, and we bleed Razorback Red.

As of this writing, my Kroger has their Smithfield Ham Portions on sale for .99 cents a pound!!  Wowzers!  So I picked up a couple of smaller portions.  I came home and cooked one, and put the others in the freezer.  Since it's just Derrick and me, I looked for portions in the 5 - 7 lb range.  Now, my family usually only eats large bone-in hams at Christmas, and I prefer mine cold.  Well, that was before tonight.  I don't think I'll ever  eat cold ham again.

Now, where I come from, Southern Mamas everywhere are well-known for making a sweet ham glaze using a good old can of Coca Cola.  I didn't have a can of Coca Cola, and although I did have a Pepsi, I felt that would almost be a sacarilege.  So keep reading for my substitute that will become my "go-to" soda for a ham glaze.

I was trying to think of a Quitschie little name for this ham, but seriously, it's just the best darn ham I've ever eaten.  So I guess that's what I'll call it, "The Best Darn Ham."  Here's how you do it:

1 "ready to cook" bone-In ham, (mine was about 6 lbs)
3/4 cup brown sugar (OK, you know me, I don't really measure, so give-or-take)
3 TBSP whole grain mustard
3 TBSP yellow mustard
2 good healthy tsp ground horseradish
1 can Dr. Pepper (yes, Dr. Pepper)

Preheat your oven to 350.  Line your baking pan well with foil (just to make clean-up easier).  Place your ham cut side down in the pan.  If you have a nice layer of fat exposed, score your fat layer with a diamond pattern.  Mix the brown sugar, both mustards and horseradish.  Again, I don't measure anything, so the amounts above are approximates.  What you want is a nice, thick consistency, that cascades smoothly from your spoon.  (See picture below.)  Pour the Dr. Pepper over the ham, followed by the brown sugar/mustard mixture.  Tent the ham with foil and secure the foil over the sides of the pan.  Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes per pound, so for my 6 lb ham, about 1 hour 20 minutes.  Get  your taste buds ready, cause this little piggy is gonna go wee, wee, wee all the way home!!

 The "all important" glaze ingredients:  Stone Ground Mustard, Yellow Mustard, Fresh Ground Horseradish,and a can of Dr. Pepper.


                       
                                                         I started with a 6 lb ham portion.


                                                Pour that Dr. Pepper right over the top.



                                         This is how your glaze should cascade off your spoon.


                                                          Pour the glaze over the ham.


                                      The finished product.  See the "scored" fatty layer.  Yummy!

With the drippings left in the pan, you can pour it in a sauce pan, add a pat of butter, and simmer it down a little.  After I cut my ham, I dipped it back in the sauce for about 20 seconds before I put it on my platter.  It's just the best darn ham I've ever eaten.  Hope you enjoy it as well!!




No comments: